The Cannabis Diaries

Friday, June 03, 2005

That Legendary Divorce is Such a Bore

Here we dissect the great Cobain’s lyrics to “Serve the Servants” They begin…

Teenage angst has paid off well
Now I'm bored and old

I’m putting Kurt in his mid twenties when he wrote this. I too can remember feeling much more ‘tame’ after the whirlwind that was my teenage years. It seems silly to me now but I first started to think of myself as ‘old’ when I was in my mid twenties. I thought I had peaked at sixteen. Actually I had peaked then, now I realize it was the first of many peaks.

Cobain goes on…

Self-Appointed judges judge
More than they have sold

Here a twist is introduced. The growing old aspect in the first two lines is tied to a ‘souring’ or ‘selling out’. This is what I love about Cobian’s writing. His words are rarely bound by any grammar rules, yet they swirl around images like bees buzz around a hive. Perhaps these hypocritical judges are somehow tied to the record industry. The fact that he mentions selling brings to mind record sales. I always have been suspect of the relationship between Kurt Cobain and media mogul David Geffen, but hell, what would I know about them.

If she floats than she is not
A witch like we had thought
A down payment on another
One at Salem’s lot

I purpose that this entire stanza ties much together. There is the obvious reference to the Salem witch trials that bring in an anti-Christian theme. The term “down payment” adds an anti-capitalist element, which ties it all with the souring 'selling out' from the previous stanza. It is interesting to me that what we seem to have here is a condemnation of the political right. Youthful idealness is pitted against more mature reason, capitalism is contrasted with communal sharing, and secularism is promoted with one of the most stereotypical anti-Christian parables: the Salem witch trials.

Next we have the chorus

Serve the servants - Oh no
That legendary divorce is such a bore

The title of this song speaks to me in a personal way. When this song was released I was both a devout fundamentalist Christian and a Non Commissioned Officer in the Army. (I also was (and still am) a husband and father) Servant leadership was my life, and the focus of much of my meditations. I often would wonder why such a conservative and Christian mantra was immersed in such liberal and secular lyrics. Did Kurt Cobain see servant leadership as a good in the face of the established church’s corruption? Was he simply throwing Jesus philosophy back at modern Christian who had strayed so far form his teachings? The second line here drew me in to Kurt Cobain in a generational manner. I knew we were the about same age. At the time I felt we had a unique loathing, not only for divorce itself but the de-moralization the divorce rate had come to represent. It also seems fitting that he was addressing the moral decay he saw with the loss of youthful liberalism.

The next stanza is where the meat is. Perhaps some back-story is in order before I show these next four lines through Nick Danger’s mind. When I was a teenager I worshipped the band Jane’s Addiction. I cannot imagine it was much different for Kurt Cobain. Perry Ferrell’s seminal song “Had a Dad” dealt with similar issues as I have purposed here. The short of it is “Had a Dad” is about a lost personal relationship with God.

As my bones grew they did hurt
They hurt really bad
I tried hard to have a father
But instead I had a dad

What I think Mr. Cobain says here in the first two lines is that he was experiencing growing pains, emotional growing pains, that he longed and tried for a relationship with the creator, yet found a lost relationship with God. If that was his intention in writing that I must say I felt his pain. Who hasn’t?


I just want you to know that I
Don't hate you anymore
there is nothing I could say
that I haven't thought before

Now this sounds like conversations I've had with God in my head. I have felt guilt for thoughts that would be considered blasphemous. It’s ironic, yes, but I have wrestled with it my whole life. Perhaps I’m dating myself here (thx Mr G) but, I felt a rush of relief that someone else may be dealing with the same horrible issue as me: wrestling with God. I think it may have been my Catholic upbringing or just my natural rebellion or that my dad was an atheist, maybe it is all of them. I have wrestled with my concept of God my whole thinking life.

I know many of you come here for the humor. This is the second somber post out of the last three so let me leave up with this.

In order to made a Kleenex dance…blow a little boogie in it, and don't forget, fuck the Joneses Danger

12 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Blogger Rae Ann said...

You just explained a lot of our common generation's issues. I'm a little older than you but not enough that we don't have that generational connection due to the common experiences of our lives. That was a long sentence just to say we pretty much grew up with all the same influences. I remember when I was 25 (1993) and my friends and I would discuss our angst and 'quarter-life' crisis. 'Grunge' was big and it all fit together. However, I rebelled against it and immersed myself in Zeppelin to get me through. My college roommate was a devout Christian. I proclaimed that I was not. Even since then, though, I've tried to walk that 'good path' but I've always wandered off. Now I'm quite happy to blaze my own little trail and have made my peace with God the Father. (Sorry about this too-long comment.) You rock!!

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger ghartstein said...

Dude...way cool. Appreciate the nod as well. I totally get where you're at. I was raised Conservative Jewish; heck, I was even a Bar-Mitzvah teacher from 13 through 17...not to mention a teen with issues in need of an outlet or escape. I'm always trying to balance my love for the traditions my own family gave their lives for with my distance from the dogma and day to day practice...the mythology if you will. My concept of God is WAY different from what I learned as a kid, so for me religion has become a personal, live and let live, kind of thing.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Rae Ann said...

You know, this post rang a faint little bell back in the recesses of my neurons that I've finally recognized as saying "The Great Divorce." It is a book by CS Lewis. I had to google it. And I have no idea where I have heard of it, but it was in my brain somehow. Here's the description lifted from amazon:

"C. S. Lewis takes us on a profound journey through both heaven and hell in this engaging allegorical tale. Using his extraordinary descriptive powers, Lewis introduces us to supernatural beings who will change the way we think about good and evil."

I wonder if Cobain might have read it at some point. It seems like maybe I've heard the term The Great Divorce used somewhere in reference to the Fall of Satan and all of that. Maybe I'm just full of shit. But that 'legendary divorce' could be a bore because Cobain was tired of the whole good vs evil issue.

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Rae Ann said...

Ironically, Gina, I also went through that third-life crisis. I was 31 when it started and 35 when it ended. A lot of shit went down in those 4 years. I hope you have an easier time of it. I think you will.

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

I think we all wrestle with that stuff Danger. I was raised Catholic, married an athiest and have my kids in a Lutheran school. So yeah, we are just as confused. I don't think you have to be funny all the time, but I'm glad you made sure to add the word fuck in there somewhere. ;)
Lois
P.S. Speaking of Jane's Addiction, did you see this blog? http://6767.typepad.com/news/

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Jay said...

It's funny that people can spend so much time dissecting lyrics when we can really never knwo what they meant to the author. It's all an interpretive spin, which is why people like music, because it all sounds so personal.

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

I'm kinda having a no life crisis. I'll be 31 next week. Please critique some, i dunno, Boston or REO Speedwagon. Something profound.

 
At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That line about "if she floats then she isn't a witch like we thought" or whatever it said...

that reminds me of Monty Python's Holy Grail...where they dress that chick up like a "witch" and after much discussion realize that if she weighs the same as a duck, she'll float, which means she's a witch.

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey thecannabisdiaries.blogspot.com admin discovered your site via yahoo but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have found website which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your site http://mass-backlinks.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my website. Hope this helps :) They offer most cost effective services to increase website traffic at this website http://mass-backlinks.com

 
At 12:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy propecia buy generic propecia online cheap - propecia side effects cure

 
At 2:16 AM, Blogger Antonio said...

Thanks for this "dissection"! Cobain's lyrics contain so much slang and allegories that I as a Russian guy can't get in. Your vision of this song is very useful for me as grunge fan and as Christian=)
Thank you=)

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

stop saying stanza wtf

 

Post a Comment

<< Home