The Cannabis Diaries

Thursday, June 02, 2005

help us stop this killer

When I was six years old I stood on my grandmother’s front porch. It was a plain concrete porch, with simple iron rails on the sides. The porch stands about five feet off the ground. Next to it is a thorny bush, which flowers into a wine colored red every spring. This was the most uneventful place for a six year old to waste his time, until uncle Ernie came into the picture.
“Hey Nick, How’s it going?” Ernie asked. It made little difference to me what he said; I could tell by his voice inflection he was about to destroy any boredom I was experiencing. Rather than answer him with words, I stuck out my pointer finger from my fist, with my thumb in the air. I lowered my thumb with a six year old gun sound, much the same noise as a rocket ship taking off. Upon being struck with the imaginary bullet Ernie clutched his heart. He was thrown by the bullets force over the iron rail and onto the thorny bush. I was amazed that someone who I saw as an adult would engage in such silliness. He laid there motionless in make-believe death for at least three minutes. My stomach was sore from laughter by the time I could get my mother to come witness her brother’s antics.
Last summer Ernie decided to sit on some rail road tracks in front of a train to end his long suffering. Although he was a bright shining light to all of us in his family, He lived with a very personal torture. Surrounded by family and friends he suffered alone. Demons of depression had sunk their claws deep into Ernie. Ernie is survived by his two young sons and a large family will always just want him back.
My mother (Grandma Danger) has been intensely training for months now for the Out of Darkness Walk in an effort to raise awareness about this silent cruel killer. My pride in her swells as I hear her reports on her training. I have enjoyed riding bicycles with her as part of her cross-training. It is bitterly ironic when we bike past those loud trains, yet ma seems to use it as a motivator. I encourage all of you to search your pockets for a donation that may help champion this cause.I humbly thank you. Danger

9 Comments:

At 8:32 AM, Blogger Rae Ann said...

I don't know how much I've revealed about my own 'Dark' past, but this really does touch my soul. Ironically, I was thinking about doing a depression related post on the Hoe blog. I donated a little bit to help your mom. She sounds like a great, wonderful lady.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger SierraBella said...

How awfully sad.
Good for your mother, getting out and really doing something for this important cause.
And good for you to write about it.

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Jules said...

My husband has had three uncles commit suicide in the past 15 years. It is definitely a subject that hits home with us.
Tell your mom that I wish her all the best in her efforts to fight this disease.

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Rain Child said...

hey thanx 4 the post i was wonderin if u wouldn't mind me connectin to ur page. if not hit up my blog again with a SURE!!! later dude.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Nick Danger said...

Thanks for all the support. It was a real boost for my ma. I'll be sure to post a link to her pictures from the walk. More than $100 was donated today. Words can't express. Thanks

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger ghartstein said...

All the best with this, NIck! Sounds like a great cause. This is something that affects everyone.

 
At 2:17 AM, Blogger Frally said...

All the best to you Nick, I'm sorry you had to lose a beloved member of your family in such a horrible way. Talking about it openly is the best thing you can do to make a difference to other peoples lives so they don't suffer in silence. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Nick Danger said...

I am issuing an Official Certificate of Compassion from the Danger Institute to everyone who commented with their support. To request a hard copy of your certificate please e-mail zipper42o@hotmail.com with your snail mail address.
In addition cash donors receive 1000 Danger points a piece. You are heroines and heroes.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

know a bit about it, but appreciate the light on it shining so eloquently here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home